I will be honest: I did not do much real work this summer. I quit my job in May, traveled around Europe for 5 weeks, and then pretty much chilled in Michigan for almost 2 months until I moved to Ann Arbor for law school.
Knowing this would be a low-key summer, I set a goal in advance to tackle some projects and to avoid just sitting around on the couch all the time. One of those projects? Cook, and cook a lot.
In this regard, I think I succeeded. Now, this is not to say all my cooking endeavors themselves were successful – I did a fair amount of messing up recipes and making silly mistakes. I’m still new at this cooking game, and I have a TON to learn.
I’ve been blogging lots of my cooking attempts, but there were a few that didn’t quite make the cut, for whatever reason. So, here’s a look at what else I cooked this summer:
Greek Salad with Chicken and Feta Croquettes
- Source: Annie’s Eats
- Source: Weight Watchers
- Notes: This was probably my least favorite meal of the summer. I think it was the turkey bacon – not a fan. Also, I’m not sure if I didn’t cook it properly, but the top was pretty flavorful, while the bottom was basically a lump of flavorless noodles.
Greek Chicken with Orzo
- Source: Weight Watchers cookbook (I couldn’t find a link online)
- Notes: This was pretty tasty, but my orzo was way overdone. Which leads me to the question – how exactly do you know when orzo is done? It’s beyond me.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Source: Weight Watchers Best-Ever Desserts
- Notes: I thought these were really tasty, but the recipes for the frosting leaves you with a very chunky, very hard to spread concoction. We had to add some skim milk.
Chicken in Ginger Broth
- Source: Also from a WW cookbook – I can’t find a link to it online.
- Notes: This was good, but rather bland. Definitely needed more salt/pepper/seasoning than the recipe originally called for.
Italian Beef Pasta Bake
- Source: Weight Watchers
- Notes: This turned out a lot like Hamburger Helper. Probably good, if you like Hamburger Helper. But, I don’t, so that should tell you all you need to know regarding how I felt about this recipe.
And, here’s a recap of the ones I already posted about:
- Zucchini Bread
- Margarita Cupcakes
- Pina Colada Angel Food Cake
- Fruit Salsa
- Greek Salad Pita Wrap
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Creamy Peanut Butter Pie
- Triple Berry Crisp
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Mojito Pie
- Oreo Cupcakes
- Key Lime Pie
- Crab Cakes
All in all, I’m sort of amazed by how much I actually cooked this summer. For someone who didn’t really cook anything, ever, until I graduated 3 years ago, and who has only cooked sporadically since, I think I covered a lot of ground. I’m a little sad that I don’t have my own kitchen this school year – but I’m certain I’ll be revisiting this whole cooking thing in the future as soon as I can.