I love award shows. I love the red carpet fashion and the cheesy acceptance speeches and the video montages. But perhaps most of all, I love analyzing the nominees and bitching about my favorites who weren’t nominated. So, with the Emmys airing tonight, what better time to do just that? Here’s my take on the ten major categories (and, no, all that miniseries crap does not count).
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
- Jane Lynch – Glee
- Betty White – Hot in Cleveland
- Julie Bowen – Modern Family
- Kristen Wiig – Saturday Night Live
- Jane Krakowski – 30 Rock
- Sofia Vergara – Modern Family
- Who Should Win: In an almost neck and neck race with Julie Bowen, I’d give it to Sofia Vergara, who could win this award almost on the strength of her accent alone. Please, please don’t let Betty White win. I mean, yes, I get it, everyone loves Betty White. That doesn’t mean we have to nominate her for starring in a mediocre show on TV Land.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: Busy Phillips from Cougar Town. She is completely, wonderfully over the top and makes me laugh every single week. Sample quip: “I used to watch Jeopardy! every day because I had a major lady rod for Alex Trebek. Till I found out he was Canadian. Gross.”
Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
- Jon Cryer – Two and a Half Men
- Chris Colfer – Glee
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson – Modern Family
- Ed O’Neill – Modern Family
- Eric Stonestreet – Modern Family
- Ty Burrell – Modern Family
- Who Should Win: Can we have a four way tie between the Modern Family guys? If not, I’d give it to Ty Burrell. I love how clueless but super lovable he makes Phil.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: No contest – the biggest snub in ANY category is Nick Offerman from Parks and Rec. Seriously, Ron Swanson is unbeatable. So many great moments – his cornrows, pulling out his own tooth, getting his eyebrows burned off, his pyramid of greatness, his plain and simple hamburger making skills. How is he not nominated? Also, I give an honorable mention to Aziz Ansari, who is fantastic. I have replayed the scene where he talks about food abbreviations countless times (chicky chicky parm parm, future birds, food rakes, long ass rice, apps and zerts. Pure comedy gold).
Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
- Laura Linney – The Big C
- Edie Falco – Nurse Jackie
- Amy Poehler – Parks and Recreation
- Melissa McCarthy – Mike & Molly
- Martha Plimpton – Raising Hope
- Tina Fey – 30 Rock
- Who Should Win: Amy Poehler, fo sho. Basically, I want Leslie Knope to succeed in every one of her crazy ventures because Poehler makes her so dorkily lovable and relateable. And here’s a plea for Tina Fey not to win for the 547th time. Seriously, we’re over it.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: Courtney Cox, at long last. Never nominated for Friends, and now never nominated for Cougar Town. It’s a travesty, and Jules Cobb can only cope by curling up in her blumfy with a gigantic glass of wine from Big Carl.
Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
- Matt LeBlanc – Episodes
- Jim Parsons – The Big Bang Theory
- Steve Carell – The Office
- Johnny Galecki – The Big Bang Theory
- Louis CK – Louie
- Alec Baldwin – 30 Rock
- Who Should Win: If I had seen Episodes, I have a suspicion Matt LeBlanc would’ve gotten my nod. But since I haven’t, I’ll have to go with Steve Carrell. I’m glad Michael Scott got his happy ending, and Steve Carrell should get one too.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: I’m not sure if he submitted himself for Lead Actor or Supporting, but I’d go with John Krasinski. How has he never been nominated? Yeah, the Office’s glory days are far behind it, but Jim Halpert is always wonderful.
- Parks and Recreation
- The Office
- Modern Family
- 30 Rock
- The Big Bang Theory
- Who Should Win: I am completely torn between Parks and Rec and Modern Family. I say the Emmys spread the love around a bit and give it to Parks and Rec this year. The Modern Family ensemble always gets major props, but I think the Parks and Rec cast is equally outstanding.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: At this point, this will come as no surprise – Cougar Town! This show is completely underrated – I only know like 2 people who watch it, which is a shame because it’s consistently hilarious. I aspire to this life one day – never working, and sitting around all day with friends to talk, play stupid games, and drink liberal amounts of wine. Penny can!!!
Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
- Kelly Macdonald – Boardwalk Empire
- Christina Hendricks – Mad Men
- Michelle Forbes – The Killing
- Archie Panjabi – The Good Wife
- Margo Martindale – Justified
- Christine Baranski – The Good Wife
- Who Should Win: I don’t regularly watch any of these shows, so it’s a toss up for me. I’d probably give it to Christina Hendricks because, even though I really dislike Mad Men, she’s one of the more entertaining parts of it.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: Yeah, she’s at least half the age of every nominee, but she kicks way more ass – Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones. I can’t believe more actors from this show weren’t nominated!
Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
- John Slattery – Mad Men
- Andre Braugher – Men of a Certain Age
- Walton Goggins – Justified
- Peter Dinklage – Game of Thrones
- Josh Charles – The Good Wife
- Alan Cumming – The Good Wife
- Who Should Win: No doubt – Peter Dinklage. Tyrion is such an awesome character in the novels – and Dinklage brings him to life perfectly.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: I love me some Henry Cavill in the Tudors. I know this show is kind of over the top and historically inaccurate, but I wish it would’ve gotten a smidgen more Emmy love. Especially for Henry Cavill. So fantastic. And beautiful.
Lead Actress in a Drama Series
- Elisabeth Moss – Mad Men
- Connie Britton – Friday Night Lights
- Mariska Hargitay – Law & Order: SVU
- Mireille Enos – The Killing
- Julianna Margulies – The Good Wife
- Kathy Bates – Harry’s Law
- Who Should Win: Connie Britton, all the way. She makes Tammy no nonsense, wise, and humorous. Plus, she says “hey y’all” better than anyone else, ever.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: I think this category is pretty complete, and I don’t watch any of the shows that might have yielded a potential snub (e.g. January Jones in Mad Men, Anna Paquin in True Blood, etc). All that leaves me is Game of Throne’s Lena Headey. So awesome at being oh so evil.
Lead Actor in a Drama Series
- Steve Buscemi – Boardwalk Empire
- Michael C. Hall – Dexter
- Kyle Chandler – Friday Night Lights
- Jon Hamm – Mad Men
- Hugh Laurie – House
- Timothy Olyphant – Justified
- Who Should Win: Please, please, please let Kyle Chandler win. Coach Taylor is second to none, and I love how Chandler injects a really dry sense of humor to the character. Plus, you know, clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: How about Nathan Fillion? I know Castle is kind of a dramedy, but I think it goes in this category. Fillion is such a good actor. Plus, anyone who got their start as Joey Buchanan gets a couple points in my book.
- Boardwalk Empire
- The Good Wife
- Mad Men
- Friday Night Lights
- Game of Thrones
- Who Should Win: I will admit that I don’t watch nearly as much dramatic television as I do comedic, so perhaps it’s a bit unfair of me to judge this one. But, I’ll do it anyway since this is my blog. Game of Thrones trumps them all, hands down.
- Who Should’ve Been Nominated: I think this list is pretty solid. The only drama I watch that isn’t on the list is Blue Bloods, so I’ll go with that one (even though it’s not really Emmy-worthy).