I’ve mentioned it before, and I will probably mention it a million times over the next month (you’ve been forewarned): I really love Christmas. So, in honor of the season, here’s a quick list of the top 10 things I love most about the season:
- Holiday music. I am one of those people. I listen to it in November. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Christmas movies (my essentials: Love Actually and While You Were Sleeping).
- Waking up in the morning to freshly fallen snow. Before everyone starts trampling through it, the world looks magical.
- Christmas cookies. We have so many classic family recipes – my grandma’s chocolate chip cookies, my other grandma’s animal sugar cookies, melting moments, pizzelles.
- Decorating the Christmas tree (and, on a related note, buying way too many ornaments for said tree).
- Christmas lights. See item 3; much like snow, they make everything magical.
- Advent calendars. My family has an ancient one that I love. One year, I noticed that my mom had quit hanging it up (she thought it looked tacky), so I took it with me when I moved. It’s fantastic. And by fantastic, I mean, kinda-janky-but-I-love-it-anyway.
- Seeing family. My family is awesome.
- Sending + receiving Christmas cards. It’s quickly becoming a lost art, but I’m doing my best to keep it alive.
- The feeling of the season. It sounds SO cheesy, but I think the world really feels different around Christmastime. More happy, more hopeful, more merry + bright.