This week’s episode of Project Runway All-Stars saw one very special guest judge in the house – none other than Miss Piggy! (Oh, the costume designer from Gossip Girl was also there, but that’s really beside the point). Anyway, I have to say that even though Miss Piggy is kinda funny, I hate when they do things like this. It was very reminiscent of the time Cookie Monster “judged” a Quickfire on Top Chef, and I didn’t like it then either. As far as reality TV shows go, I count on Project Runway and Top Chef to be two of the classier ones (if there even is such a thing as “classy” in the reality TV genre), so it’s disappointing when they do something this gimmicky.
The challenge was to create a dress for Miss Piggy to wear for a red carpet event. Overall, I was underwhelmed by the fashion in tonight’s episode, so much so that I found it difficult to pick a top three. Nonetheless, here’s who I’d put in the top and the bottom.
My Top Three:
- Jerell: I can’t believe the judges left this one in the middle of the pack! I thought it was quite fun, and I love the color combo. I also loved the black gemstones sprinkled atop the fabric. It’s quite flapper-esque, and I’m totally digging that look lately.
- Michael: I was torn between loving and hating this one. Love the fabric and cut of the dress, and I even kinda like the gigantic bow-thingy protruding off it. But I hated the way he accessorized the dress – the black gloves, in particular, I found garish.
- Kenley: Okay, the headdress is ridonkulous. But I LOVE the dress itself (in fact, this was the only dress I immediately loved – see my above comment about the fashion being meh tonight). It’s so flouncy and lighthearted, which seems very Miss Piggy to me.
My Bottom Three:
- Gordana: This was too simple – just boring and very drab. I think it was Joanna who said this looked like a nightgown, and I have to say I agree. I understand why the judges sent Gordana home for this.
- Austin: This was a hot mess. First, it didn’t seem very Miss Piggy too me – I mean, would she wear a bustier dress? Second, I don’t like the color combination – what an ugly shade of grey. And, third, the giant bows are just a nightmare. So unflattering!
- Kara: I hate to say it, but Kara is turning out to be the disappointment of the season for me – I remember loving her work in the past, but she really hasn’t found her way yet this time around. I thought this dress looked skanky, cheap, and too tight. I hate the random cut-out in the top, and the hairstyle is atrocious.
Random Bits + Pieces:
- Upon learning that Miss Piggy was the guest judge, Michael said (without a trace of irony, I might add), “I’m so excited to meet her. She’s like fashion’s dream client.” Ummm, what? Off the top of my head, I’d say – Kate Middleton, Angelina Jolie, Michelle Obama, Sarah Jessica Parker, and approximately 4,327 other people trump her.
- Everyone seemed to equate Miss Piggy with a 60s retro vibe; I’m not sure how they all decided that was her aesthetic. Mila did a 60s mod dress (which is typical Mila, so I guess I can see how she got there), Kenley did a fairly retro piece, and Mondo – in his own words – aimed to channel the sixties with his mod shift.
- Speaking of Mila, they seemed to focus on her quite a bit this episode, so naturally I assumed she’d be eliminated – not so. Sneaky editors.
- Kenley, on Miss Piggy: “I love her! She reminds me of myself.” No comment.
- What was up with all the drama about the accessory wall tonight (ahem, the Neiman Marcus Accessory Wall)? They’ve never, to my recollection, shown the designers fighting over accessories before, and this is like season 9! I’ve always wondered if they’re really limited to what’s on that wall, because it seems like a relatively small selection, but from the drama tonight, I guess they are.
- The ladies need to step up their game this season – so far, the first three to go home have all been women (Elisa, Sweet P, Gordana). Come on, ladies!
Bitchy Line of the Night: “Michael’s dress looks very amateur. It looks like a princess dress with bubbles on her boobs.” (Anthony, my go-to source for bitchy quotes delivered in over-the-top southern tones)