What do parents do on a college visit?
Parents should be supportive of their students and remember that the campus visit should allow the student to practice independence and explore the environment. Parents should be observant, take notes, ask questions, and discuss their impressions with the student.
Can you go on college tours alone?
High school students often visit college campuses alone to get an inside view of college life. … But can your child visit colleges alone? Certainly. It’s important that you, as a parent, keep a few things in mind and discuss certain issues with your child first.
What should I expect at a college tour?
Typically, campus tours last about an hour and include the library, an academic building, the student center, a dining hall, and a dorm room. But the visit isn’t only about seeing the sights. It’s also about seeing how you relate to the campus and the students, and if you feel like you’d fit in.
What parents should ask on a college visit?
- What’s it like to be a first-year student here?
- What’s a typical day like?
- How much time do students spend studying per week?
- What do you do when you’re not in class?
- What do you do on the weekends?
- What is the social scene like?
- What kinds of things are there to do in your school’s hometown?
- How’s the food?
How do I schedule a college tour?
Take these important first steps:
- Contact the college admission office through the college’s website or by email or phone to get details and make a reservation.
- Talk to your counselor about joining an organized tour of campuses you might not get to visit otherwise.
- Schedule time to be on your own.
Are colleges giving tours?
With vaccinations in full force and cases on the decline, many have resumed in-person campus tours. Unsurprisingly, most of the institutions open for visits have safe practices in place, so make sure you’ve satisfied the requirements prior to visiting.
Should I go on college tours?
If you’re able to find the time, money, and transportation to visit your colleges, I highly recommend doing so. Not only will you learn a ton of important info about the school, but you’ll get to see and sense the general atmosphere of the campus and its surrounding area.
Can I wear shorts on a college tour?
Also make sure you are clean shaven, or have your facial hair trimmed and looking presentable. Girls: Try to be conservative in your dress and avoid holes in clothing. Stay away from short shorts and see through clothing. Something as simple as jeans and a t-shirt or blouse would be comfortable and respectful.